Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Re: NEW WIP: emulators/pcsx2

On Wed, 22 Jul 2026 11:47:19 +0100 Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org> wrote: > > Technically, you could run PCSX2 with w^x as there is an interpretive > emulator included within it; at least, I'm sure that's the case. > > But yeah, the entire emulator uses really advanced dynamic > recompilation for performance, to make all the games run. > > > Am 22.07.26 um 10:31 schrieb Stuart Henderson: > > On 2026/07/22 08:44, Leah Rowe wrote: > >> pcsx2 on openbsd would be pretty dope. w^x though? > >>>>> - USE_WXNEEDED and USE_NOBTCFI need a comment explaining what > >>>>> the problem is. > > hence the USE_WXNEEDED ^^ > For the emulators/melonds port I maintain, enabling the W^X-style JIT recompiler when running a particularly hard to emulate game didn't really improve anything for me, performance-wise, on OpenBSD: https://github.com/melonDS-emu/melonDS/pull/2398 You can try running a dump of your physical cart of "Animal Crossing: Wild World" with JIT on emulators/melonds and you'll still see stuttering frames and audio crackling even on a very fast amd64 CPU. This behavior is the same even without a JIT. I'm not too hopeful this type of JIT will improve anything for PCSX2 on OpenBSD, for this reason. Or- maybe the JIT on MelonDS is particularly inefficient and I'm completely off base here. The main reason I fixed up JIT support on MelonDS for OpenBSD was to simplify the port to be closer to upstream defaults. The W^X-type of JIT doesn't seem *that* beneficial to us on OpenBSD, performance-wise. OFC I could be mistaken... Thanks- Have a nice day. -- iz (she/her) > I say mundane things > so the uninteresting > just might get noticed. izder456 (dot) neocities (dot) org

No comments:

Post a Comment